Searching for a way to stop your nails from peeling and flaking? Peeling nails can look awful and feel painful, but this is not something you must live with. It’s important to identify what is causing the peeling and treating your nails immediately.
Many people struggle with peeling nails, which can really affect self-esteem. After all, your hands are almost always visible to the world. But not to worry! In this article, I’ll give you to 411 on the best peeling prevention and treatments.
Why Are My Nails Flaking And Peeling?
There is a myriad of different causes when it comes to nail peeling—and it’s up to you to be the detective to figure out precisely what is causing this.
Onychoschizia, the medical term for fingernail splitting/peeling, can be caused by trauma, disease, nutritional deficiency, overuse (when you use your nails as a tool), or acrylic/false nails. For starters, take a look at your fingernails, and then compare them to your toenails.
Are they both peeling? Chances are its just your fingernails, and if that’s the case, it’ll be a more straightforward fix!
Should I Go To The Doctor?
Your nails are a fantastic indicator of your health. So if both fingernails and toenails are sickly, or you notice a significant change in your fingernail health, you may have a disease or nutritional deficiency that needs attention ASAP.
If you observe deep horizontal ridges or discoloration in conjunction with your peeling nails, seek medical care. Don’t delay! For more information on what causes nail ridges.
How To Prevent and Stop My Nails From Peeling?
Do you have a job where you work a lot with your hands? If so, that may be to blame. Unfortunately, overuse and accidental trauma to the hands occur when we are at work, and this, unfortunately, takes a toll on us. Sometimes we are so busy at work we don’t realize the damage until we are home later.
However, peeling caused by trauma is less detrimental than peeling caused by disease. You can prevent trauma by wearing quality gloves or investing in better equipment to save your hands. Get creative, and remember to always play it safe!
When I was a dishwasher at a pub back in college, my nails took a real beating, as they were always in soapy water, which hindered their growth and made them start to peel. However, after I invested in some better quality (and less harsh) soap, some fantastic gloves, and some better dishwashing tools, my nails looked like a million bucks again.
When it comes to acrylic or false nails, the chemicals used can be immensely damaging the nailbed. Overfiling and drilling the nails can also weaken and damage the nails, leading to painful peeling. Be sure you are visiting a qualified licensed and insured expert nail tech to prevent improper manicures.
Ensure your acrylics are removed and replaced during the recommended intervals.
Going beyond the normal extension will compromise the health of the nail. Use a professional nail tech for removal to stay damage-free.
Last but not least, let’s do a mental check-in. Are you experiencing anxiety that may be causing you to bite your nails? While admitting to this habit may be mortifying, it’s the first step to healthier nails.
Biting your nails can result in several other complications in your body, from the visible peeling, to ingrown nails, disease, and tooth problems. It’s essential to get help to break your nail-biting habit to lessen your risk of the serious consequences that accompany it.
So, take a look at your environment. Is it your job, your mental health, your internal health, or your addiction to false nails that are causing the peeling? Whatever the cause, identify it, and then come up with a game plan to solve the issue.
What Vitamin Deficiency Causes Peeling Nails?
To confirm if your peeling nails are caused by a nutritional deficiency, you should first make an appointment with your healthcare provider to discuss a blood test.
These lab results will tell you what nutrients you may be lacking in your diet that could be causing ill health in your nails, and perhaps other imbalances in your body.
With the amazing capabilities of healthcare these days, I highly encourage everyone to take advantage of preventative measures like this. It’s always easier to identify and treat the problem at the beginning stages rather than later on.
So what are some of the vitamin deficiencies that could be causing that pesky peeling?
Iron deficiency is one of the most common causes. A lab test can confirm iron deficiency, but eating foods high in iron such as spinach, beans, lentils, lean meats, and even baked potatoes (with skin) can help up those iron levels. You can also try supplementing with iron; however, be sure to abide by the directions on the labels. Too much iron can have adverse side effects.
Another vitamin deficiency that could be causing the peeling may be vitamin D. This is one of the easiest vitamins to obtain, available in fatty fish, eggs, mushrooms, and fortified milk—or just go out in the sun! Almost 50% of the world is astonishingly deficient in vitamin D. Get outside; your nails will thank you (just don’t forget the sunscreen)!
Other vitamins that can help improve the appearance and strength of your nails include vitamin B, C, zinc, magnesium, and biotin. Omega 3 fatty acids, as well as protein, will help as well. A balanced diet, along with a quality multivitamin, can give your bod the best chance at stable and healthy nails. The more balanced you are, the more unbreakable you will be. How’s that for a mantra?
How To Prevent Peeling Skin Around Nails
If your nails are peeling, there’s a chance that your skin may start peeling around the nailbed as well. Along with a well-balanced diet, you can use a high-quality moisturizer to rescue the skin.
This pink grapefruit hand cream by the Body Shop is one of the most luxurious hand creams I have ever found, and it smells absolutely delicious. It has remained my favorite throughout the years. To find an effective moisturizer to prevent peeling skin around your nails, look for hand creams rich in fatty acids and vitamin E to save your skin!
Your Guide To The Best Nail Treatment For Peeling Nails
- Nailtiques Formula 2 Protein is one of the best treatments you can get your hands on, to help stop your nails from peeling. Their unique formula will heal peeling nails and help strengthen them to grow healthy once again. The protein in this product works quickly to help nails to stop splitting and peeling immediately. In the words of nailitques, “Nothing else comes close.” See for yourself here.
- Nail Tek Strengthener shines as one of the most highly-rated nail strengtheners on the market. This product boasts a unique and highly effective protein formula that seals the layers of the nails together to rebuild strength in the nailbed. Each application thickens and reinforces previously weak nails, helping to promote healthier and more durable nails. Check them out here.
- Barielle Hydrating Ridge Filler is sure to nourish your nails. With silk fibers that help balance the texture of your nails, this formula is deeply hydrating and strengthening for needy nails. Free of any harmful chemicals, this formula is safe for those who want more durable nails during pregnancy. Get it here.
- Onyx Hard As Hoof may as well be a 4-course meal for your hungry nails when it comes to the nutrients packed in here. HAH is made with jojoba oil, calcium, A, C, D, E, minerals, beeswax, and more goodness. You’ll be able to grow your nails faster and longer and stop the peeling for good. It can even be used on toenails! You’ll surely enjoy the lovely coconut scent it comes with too. Available here.
- Sally Hansen’s Strengthener and Hardener is the dynamic duo you need to get your nails back in shape. With this product, you will see nails that are 30% longer within 5 days, guaranteed! Keratin and soy proteins help rebuild your nail’s strength, and several vitamins, alongside collagen, help to expedite growth and bring health back to the nail. Choose Diamond Strength and Miracle Cure, and say goodbye to those peeling nails by visiting here.
Peeling nails can look awful and feel painful, but this is not something you must live with. It’s important to identify what is causing the peeling and treating your nails immediately.
There are plenty of affordable and highly effective products on the market that can help you get the nails of your dreams. Don’t let your peeling nails hold you back! After all, life is short, and you should feel good in your skin!
Thanks for stopping by. We hope you enjoyed this article on how to stop nails from peeling.