Cheaper than a spray tan, safer than a real tan—was there ever a better invention than a self-tanner? As the summer months come and go, many of us find ourselves wanting to maintain a sun-kissed look without having to spend our days in the sun. Applying self-tanner is a great way to achieve this look, but what if you don’t have access to a tanning mitt? Never fear! In this article, I will take you through the steps of how to apply self tanner without using a mitt.
How to Apply Self Tanner Without Using A Mitt
Swimsuit season is just around the corner, and many of us are reaching for the self-tanner to get that perfect golden skin. Personally, feel like I have a lot more confidence with a tan, whether it’s a fake tan or real and I know many others feel the same way.
I am also more willing to be in pictures. Our favorite movie stars and singers are always on the front of magazines and the TV screen looking tan, healthy, and fabulous. So why shouldn’t we?
When you just don’t have the time (or cooperative weather) to lie around the pool and work on your color, the self-tanner is there to save the day! Yes, sometimes laying out in the sun is so much easier.
You get to close your eyes and relax; it’s nice and warm, and you don’t have to let your skin dry or worry about getting color where you don’t want, with the exception of tan lines haha.
But you should know that self-tanner is a MUCH healthier alternative to tanning under a UV light. This is one of the worst things you can do to your skin.
Self-tanner gives all the benefits of color, but you are not at risk for skin cancer, and you don’t run the risk of prematurely aging your skin as you do in the sun.
We live in an age where the sun is stronger than ever, causing irreversible damage to our skin. Taking care of our skin should be one of our biggest priorities, especially in summer!
One of the biggest regrets my mother has is not taking better care of her skin. The poor woman has had several malignant moles cut out of her because she has been in the sun her whole life.
That was enough to make me start protecting myself from the sun religiously and get my color from self-tanner.
There’s a reason many bodybuilders and other performers use self-tanners. It makes their bodies look more appealing. Tans conceal most scars and unsightly marks on the body, so it’s no wonder we love it!
In this article, I’ll discuss three simple ways to apply self tanner without using a mitt, as well as how long you should wait to shower, and how to get the best results to look tanner and sexier for summertime.
Do I Really Need to Use a Mitt?
While a mitt is useful, it’s not entirely necessary. Many people apply self-tanner with other items if they do not have access to a mitt. Some people use their hands, but unless you want hands and nails that look like Cheetos, you should definitely use one of the following alternatives!
You can get a streak-free quality sunless tan by using what you have around the house. These include using a sock, rubber gloves, or cling wrap. And then there is my favorite mitt-free way: self-tanning wipes.
Finally, a use for that old thick sock that lost its partner! I’ll admit, when this was recommended to me it caught me a little off guard. But it works! A sock can perform the same way as a mitt. The thicker the sock, the less chance of coloring your hands. Turn the sock inside out and use it just like a mitt to spread the self-tanner on your skin. Just don’t ever plan on wearing that sock again. 😉
Yes, the kind of rubber glove your mother used to wash the dishes can also come in handy to help you keep your hands safe. Break them out and use them to apply the self-tanner to your skin. It won’t absorb the color so you can reuse to your heart’s content. Invest in these babies, and you won’t regret it!
Reynold’s wrap isn’t just for food anymore—now you can use it for your bod! Just wrap it around your hand (be sure that it’s not too tight) for some fool-proof protection from the tanner and apply it to your skin. While it’s not re-usable like the other options, it may be the easiest.
Ok, chances are you won’t have this laying around the house like the previous 3 items. But you can find them any many stores and websites. Because these are almost effortless to use, the popularity of self-tanning wipes has sky-rocketed lately with many different brands to choose from. My favorite brand is by IbizaSun. Vegan, organic, and paraben-free, these are one of the safest brands on the market. Good for the environment and good for your skin.
Once you’ve picked out your product and your mitt-free alternative, get a flawless sunless tan by following these three easy steps:
1. According to the American academy of dermatology, it’s essential to exfoliate, cleanse, and moisturize your skin before applying self-tanner with oil-free products to keep it looking natural and healthy. Oil in these products could make the self-tanner look streaky or blotchy.
2. After carefully reading the directions, apply the product to your skin, ensuring an even coat. You can use a mirror to see what you’re doing and any areas you may have missed.
3. Let it dry! The average is about 15-20 minutes, but some products can take longer! If it’s slow to dry or you’re in a hurry, you can use a hair dryer to expedite the drying process. Read the directions to see how long the product will take to dry beforehand so you can plan accordingly.
How Long Should I Wait to Shower After Self Tanner Application?
After applying a self-tanning agent, it is imperative to allow the product ample time to be absorbed into the skin. For optimal results, try to wait overnight. You’ll get your very best results this way. If not, you should wait a minimum of eight hours before showering or bathing.
Depending on the type and strength of the self tanner used, the minimum waiting period may have to be extended in order to ensure that the desired coloration has been achieved.
That being said, shower timing is not the only thing to watch out for. Sweat, rain, pool water, and even your clothes can screw up your tan if you are exposed yourself to them too early. Apply before bed to avoid any mishaps, but give yourself enough to dry before you hit the sheets!
Top 10 Tan Tips for Best Results
1. As with any skin-care product, ALWAYS do a 24-hour skin-patch test to ensure you will not react if you are using a product you have never used before. You can do this by using a dime-sized amount anywhere on your body. If you have a severe reaction, seek medical attention immediately!
2. If it’s your first time using a self-tanner or it has been a long time since your last use, use a gradual tanner to build your “natural” color slowly.
3. Make sure your skin is DRY before application. This may sound like a no-brainer, but wet skin will really mess with your results. Wait 8 hours to moisturize, and stay diligent with moisturizing to keep your tan longer.
4. Use products with organic ingredients and infused with what your skin needs. Skinerals Californium self-tanner lotion is a highly-rated blend made with organic ingredients and available online. Flawless Coconut Serum by Fakebake is loaded with coconut oil, hyaluronic acid, and amino acids; this is exactly what your skin craves and available online.
5. Keep in mind that a little goes a long way on the dry parts of your body like your knees, elbows, etc.
6. Be sure to wash your hands right after you are done with applying! You can use an exfoliating soap to really rub off the color before it settles in your skin.
7. If you don’t get the results you want at first, don’t be discouraged! If you are new to using a self-tanner, it may take a few applications to get the tan you’re satisfied with. Stick with it!
8. Don’t shave right before applying. Your skin will be much more sensitive, and you may have some small cuts, or your pores may still be open. Instead, try to shave the night before or give it at least 8 hours to save your skin.
9. Ask your boyfriend/girlfriend, bestie, a family member, or someone else you don’t mind stripping down in front of to help! They can help your backside look more even. Plus, another pair of eyes always helps!
10. If you have weird marks you want to get rid of, you can try cutting a lemon in half and rubbing that on the skin. The acids help remove the color. Or you can try to even it out by applying more of the product.
We hope you enjoyed this article on how to apply self tanner without using a mitt. We want the very best for you and your skin. Please let us know which method worked for you.
You May Also Like
How to Lose Double Chin in 5 Days
Best Lotion For Frequently Washed Hands
How to Get Rid of Wrinkles Around the Mouth Naturally