Do you struggle with dry skin? A water based foundation may be your solution. Water based foundations are a good option if you are one of those people who gets a little shine/oily look throughout the day. In this article, we reviewed some of the best water based foundation brands and products.
How to Know If a Foundation Is Water Based
“You will know if your foundation is water-based if there are no silicons or oils at the top of the ingredient list”, says Dr. Tsippora Shainhouse from Stay Skin Safe. “If you see words ending in -cone, -silicate, -methicone, or -silicone, then you most likely have a silicone-based foundation.”
Are Water Based Foundations Good for Acne-Prone Skin
Water-based foundations can be very beneficial to those with acne-prone skin. The formula is light, weightless, and helps to conceal blemishes and dark spots. These foundations contain minimal ingredients and won’t clog your pores.
So, if you struggle with those heavy/thick foundations, a water-based solution could be the right one for you.
Are Water Based Foundations Good for Dry Skin
Water-based foundations happen to be an excellent option for those who struggle with dry skin. What a lot of people aren’t aware of is that dry skin will cause extra oils to produce on your skin, giving you that oily look. And what you don’t want are those thick foundations that give you a flaky look throughout the day.
Water-based foundations are so lightweight and hydrating that you’ll be able to maintain that fresh, moisturized look easily.
Best Water Based Foundations
You should be aware that some water-based foundations do contain oils, but it is not on the top of their ingredient list. This type of foundation is very gentle on the skin and also beneficial to those who are prone to breakouts.
The formula will help you to maintain a moisturized look. So, don’t be afraid to try out a water-based solution! They work wonders.
1. WUNDER2 LAST & FOUNDATION 24+ Hour Flawless Full Coverage
You cannot go wrong with this foundation. With 7 different colors to choose from, this foundation offers high coverage for 24+ hours. The solution is waterproof, smudge-proof, and transfer-proof. The foundation is vegan and cruelty-free, which is just another added benefit.
It spreads easily, and other makeups can be added on top of this foundation smoothly. This makeup is great for a night out! There is no oily build-up, and you don’t have to worry about your makeup rubbing off on clothes/sheets. This is by far, one of my favorite water based, long-lasting foundations!
2. Dermablend Blurring Mousse Camo Oil-Free Foundation with SPF 25
This lightweight water-based foundation is oil-free, with so many added benefits. Some of those being its ability to even out skin tone and cover up those blemishes and acne scars. There are 12 different shades to choose from, with medium to full coverage.
Along with that, this foundation offers skin protection with SPF 25 and provides 18 hours of coverage. This product is dermatologist tested, allergy tested, non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, sensitive skin tested, non-acnegenic, and non-comedogenic. This is a great choice for oily skin.
3. Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless 3-in-1 Liquid Foundation
This is a foundation that works wonders! The antiaging properties of this makeup helps to reduce wrinkles, while also evening out your skin tone for that smooth, flawless look. This water-based foundation comes in 16 different shades.
Ingredients include vitamin C and hyaluronic complex for a youthful-looking appearance. Can’t beat that! This product is also cruelty-free. The foundation will keep your skin hydrated all day, reducing those fine lines for a great price, too. This is definitely my favorite liquid, water-based foundation for those who on a budget.
4. L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Liquid Longwear Foundation Makeup
This L’Oréal Paris matte foundation is great for those looking to hide imperfections with a lightweight formula and long-lasting coverage. This foundation is easily applicable, spreading easily and smoothly over your skin. I personally love this water-based foundation for the matte look that it leaves. I never have to worry about my skin giving off that oily/dewy look throughout the day.
Anywhere from light to full coverage, this foundation comes in 22 shades and will give you a perfectly blended look. This long-lasting foundation is also oil-free.
5. Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Liquid Foundation
I love a good Maybelline product! This water-based foundation has so many added benefits, but one of the reasons why I am such a fan of this product is because there are so many shades to choose from. 40 shades. Can you believe that?!
This foundation offers light to medium coverage, with a matte look and very natural looking. The solution is very easy to blend and goes on your skin so smooth. The lightweight formula won’t leave you with an oily surface and will last all day without the feel of heavy makeup caked on your face. Definitely a must-have!
6. Better’n Ur Skin ROSE BEIGE Organic Liquid Foundation
If you are looking for organic products to use on your skin, don’t hesitate to try out this Aloe vera & water-based foundation. It is 90% certified organic, vegan, cruelty-free, non-GMO, paraben-free, and infused with real vanilla. Wow! With 12 different shades to choose from, this foundation offers natural sun protection.
It is great if you are looking for a foundation that leaves a slightly dewy, natural appearance for hydration and lightweight coverage. It naturally covers skin imperfections and does not contain any toxic ingredients. I am always a fan of natural, organic products, and this one I highly recommend!
5 Mistakes You Should Avoid When Applying Water-Based Foundation
- Make sure to not apply too much foundation! The lightweight formula of water-based foundations is meant to be used in moderation. A little goes a long way!
- Always be sure that you are matching the foundation to your skin tone. There are so many shades to choose from so make sure that you are selecting the correct color to blend in evenly.
- Prep your skin properly before applying the foundation. This includes washing your face, using a toner if needed, moisturizing, and a good primer is always a plus!
- Be sure to set your makeup after applying. You can do this by brushing on a loose powder, setting spray, or both!
- Make sure to always use the right tools when applying a water-based foundation. There are specific foundation brushes you can use which can be bought at any makeup store, pharmacy, or online. Another option would be to use a makeup sponge for easy application.
Water-Based Foundations Benefits
As briefly mentioned before, there are so many benefits to using water-based foundations. To get into more detail, here are some of the many reasons why I would recommend choosing a water-based foundation over others.
- Lightweight – these types of foundations have a lightweight quality about them that differentiates them from other products. One of the common struggles with your foundation is that when applied, your skin begins to give off this slightly oily appearance as the day goes on. Also, there is nothing worse than that cakey look that many of us experience. Water-based foundations can be a solution for that.
- Hydrating – one of the many benefits to water-based foundations is their ability to leave your skin looking moisturized and hydrated throughout the day. There is nothing worse than looking in the mirror halfway through the day and noticing a flaky appearance on your skin. Water-based foundations will help avoid the struggles that we face with dry skin.
- Does not clog pores – water-based foundations are great for acne-prone skin because the solution does not clog pores. This type of foundation glides on skin easily and smoothly and helps aid in the prevention of acne
- Natural-looking – because this type of foundation blends so easily, it produces a very natural look. Some even leave a slightly dewy appearance for a more natural affect. Or there are options for a matte finish for those who prefer no shine at all.
- Gentle on skin – water-based foundations are so gentle on skin that in the long run, this is a great option for preserving that youthful appearance that all of us strive for. There are many natural/vegan options for those of you who search for organic options for your skin.
What Is the Difference Between Water-Based, Oil-Based, and Silicone-Based Foundations?
Many of you may wonder what is the difference between the different types of foundations. Let’s start with oil-based foundations. The difference between water-based foundations and oil-based foundations is that the consistency is going to be slightly thicker than that of the lightweight solution that we have discussed.
Oil-based foundations may not be as easy to blend as water-based foundations and therefore require different tools/methods to blending on the skin. These products take a little longer to absorb on the skin so they may feel heavy/greasy and give off an oily look throughout the day.
These foundations are ideal for those of you with dry skin and need that extra boost to avoid your makeup giving off a flaky, dull look. If you have oily skin, I would avoid the oil-based foundations, as this will give you even more of that shiny/oily appearance that we all want to avoid!
Next, let’s discuss silicone-based foundations. These are just like they sound, products with a silicone base. This means that the product acts like a primer. They help control shine and leave you with a matte finish. These types of products are waterproof and help prevent sweat from breaking through and leaving an oily appearance.
They lock in moisture, but may have a heavier feel to them, unlike water-based foundations. Similarities between the two are that they are both long-lasting. The surface is left smooth and fresh looking also. The two ingredients normally on the top of the list of a silicone-based foundation would be Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone.
If you are a fan of all-natural, organic products, I would recommend the water-based foundations!
Benefits of Using a Primer Before Applying Your Water-Based Foundation
A helpful tip to having your water-based foundation last longer would be to apply a primer before blending the solution on your skin. Primers are great for prepping your skin and creating a clean, smooth surface before application. They also even out skin tone for a flawless canvas.
Primers give your pores a smaller appearance and also aid in reducing oil/shine. They help moisturize and fill in those fine lines and wrinkles before adding on your foundation. No harm in adding a little more moisture to the skin along with your water-based solution!
Ingredients in Water-Based Foundations vs Silicone-Based Foundations
You may wonder what the ingredient lists actually look like when comparing a water-based foundation to a silicone-based foundation. An oil-free, water-based solution may have an ingredient list that contains all or a few of the following ingredients.
- Water (aqua), Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Stearic Acid, Isodecyl Isononanoate, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, C20-22 Alkyl Phosphate, C22-20 Alcohols, Squalane, Butylene Glycol, Cetyl Esters, Phenoxyethanol, Boron Nitride, Silica
To compare, a product with a silicone base will have a few or all of these ingredients near the top of their ingredient list.
- Cyclopentasiloxane , Butylene, Glycol, Glycerine, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/vinal Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Dis-butydimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate
So, make sure to always check the ingredient list before selecting your water-based foundation!
The Bottom Line
As you can see, there are many added benefits to water-based foundations if you struggle with dry or acne-prone skin. Some of my favorite products are listed above, along with tips on how to properly apply these foundations for a flawless, long lasting look.
Also, make sure that you know the difference between water-based foundations, silicone-based foundations, and oil-based foundations. They are similar but very different!
Always check the ingredient list, and don’t forget those primers and powders/setting sprays for longer lasting coverage. And always match the foundation shade to your skin tone for an even, smooth, and blended look.
Don’t hesitate to try out the recommended water-based foundations. I know you won’t be disappointed.