Do you have a daughter, niece, granddaughter, etc. always begging you to let her paint her nails? I think we’ve all experienced this before. And I bet we can all agree that we’re a little hesitant because of the unsafe ingredients that nail polish contains. That is exactly why I decided to find the best non-toxic nail polish for kids.
I know we all try to steer away from harsh chemicals and only allow our children to use products with natural, healthy ingredients. There are so many safe kid-friendly substitutes for adult nail polish and lots of color options too.
Don’t be afraid to try out some of these suggestions listed below, so that everyone can enjoy those fun, colorful nails!
The Best Nail Polish for Kids
1. Airdom Non-Toxic Kids Nail Polish Set for Kids and Toddlers
If you’re looking for a kid-friendly nail polish set with a variety of colors, then this is a great option! The formula goes on smoothly and dries quickly to avoid those unwanted nail polish stains.
This product is completely water-based and non-toxic. Also, the nail polish will peel off, to avoid having to scrub your little one’s nails clean from polish.
The variety of colors consists of blue, pink, yellow, green, purple, red, and a clear base coat.
The non-harmful ingredients make this a great option for kids. The company also offers a 100% money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your purchase.
2. Townley Girl Frozen Non-Toxic 18 Piece Peel Off Nail Polish Set
This is one of my favorite kid-friendly nail polish sets for a great price! There are 18 different colors to choose from with glitter or opaque options.
The polish is even bubble gum scented. The non-toxic, water-based formula is recommended for those ages 3 and up. And one of the best parts is that nail polish remover is not needed.
This polish will peel right off, to avoid the harmful chemicals and fumes of nail polish remover. The polish goes on easily, and with so many different color options, this set is great for any occasion!
3. GRANSHOP Girls LOL Diva Dolls Fruity Scented Kids Nail Art
Another great variety pack, the Girls LOL Diva Dolls Fruity Scented Kids Nail Art offers 18 different colors. The set includes pink, turquoise, silver, black, blue, fuchsia, yellow, hot pink, lavender, coral, and others.
There are both glitter and opaque options. This kid-friendly nail polish is recommended for those ages 8 and up. The polish is non-toxic and water-based. It even has fruit and bubble gum scents.
This is a great option for kids that are looking for a wide variety of colors and fun scents. Great for all occasions, this is a highly recommended nail polish set.
4. PIGGY PAINT Scented Nail Polish Gift Set
The Piggy Paint Scented Nail Polish Gift Set is a great quality, kid-friendly nail polish. The formula is non-toxic and water-based. It is formaldehyde-free, toluene-free, DBP-free, Bisphenol-free, ethyl acetate-free, and acetone-free.
This is a great option for those looking for an odorless solution. All of the natural ingredients in this product make it so that it is scent-free. This polish is safe for babies, toddlers, young children, pregnant & nursing moms, and even pets.
The colors include Sassy Strawberry, Papaya Party, Funky Fruit, and Bossy Blueberry. The company offers a base coat and top coat sold separately. This is one of my favorite nail polish sets with safe ingredients!
5. My Little Pony Kids Washable Nail Polish
This 18-piece nail polish set is a great option for a very reasonable price. This set will come in handy for any occasion including slumber parties, holidays, play dates, and much more!
It is also a great gift idea if you’re looking to buy a fun, kid-friendly nail polish set with a theme that everyone loves. The My Little Pony set comes with 18 colors including green, pink, blue, yellow, red, orange, white, purple, and more.
It is a non-toxic, water-based formula and is recommended for children 3 and up. The polish goes on smoothly and dries fast to avoid any stains. Another great quality is that no nail polish remover is needed. The polish will peel right off. A highly recommended nail polish set!
6. Disney Princess Belle Non-Toxic Peel-Off Nail Polish (Glitter)
This is a great kid-friendly nail polish set for mixing and matching! There are 18 colors to choose from and glitter and opaque options. Colors include pink, yellow, green, orange, sky blue, dark blue, red, and more.
The solution is non-toxic and water-based. It is also bubble-gum scented, and princess themed with different princesses on each bottle to add some fun to it. We all know our little ones love their princesses!
The solution is easy to apply, dries fast, and even includes a toe separator and nail file to help avoid smudges and keep nails smooth and filed for nail polish application.
The polish will peel right off so that nail polish remover is not needed. This is a great option for all occasions!
7. Emosa Kids Friendly Nail Polish
The Emosa Nail Polish is an all-natural, safe product to use for young ones. The formula is 100% non-toxic and water-based. The solution is free from formaldehyde, toluene, and DBP.
It is an odorless polish and environment friendly. The polish can be removed by soaking in warm water for 1-2 minutes and then gently peeling off.
The 6-piece nail polish set includes turquoise, red, glittery red, purple, white, neon red, and neon yellow. The product is packaged nicely, making it a great gift idea or stocking stuffer!
The company offers a 30-day return, refund, and exchange policy. This is a very highly rated kid-friendly nail polish set for a great price!
8. Prim and Pure Nail Polish for Children
This is a very unique type of kid-friendly nail polish. It is an all-natural nail polish made from fruits and vegetables. Can you believe that?! The fruit and vegetable water-based formula is odorless and dries fast, making it a great, safe option for children of all ages.
The nail polish is made in the USA so that the makers of the product can assure that all the ingredients are natural and safe. The nail polish was created by a mother who was always concerned and reading into labels on different products.
She came up with this all-natural product made from earth’s raw materials. This nail polish is free from all harmful chemicals and peels off easily to avoid having to use nail polish removers that are full of chemicals and odors.
9. Snails Non-Toxic Nail Polish for Girls
Snails Non-Toxic Nail Polish is an environmental-friendly polish that is great for children. There are no animal-derived ingredients. The only ingredients are water, acrylic polymer, and specific colorants that are safe for children.
They use a French formula that is 100% non-toxic with no parabens, perfumes, or harmful substances. This no-stain formula is easy to apply, dries quickly, and can be removed easily without nail polish remover.
The product is used globally in 67 countries. Wow! There is also a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your purchase. I would highly recommend this kid-friendly nail polish if you are looking for a safe, water-based option for any age.
Is There a Safe Nail Polish For Toddlers?
There are many great nail polish options out there that are safe to use on toddlers. It is very common for mothers to be concerned about the chemicals and harmful ingredients in a lot of the products that are out there these days.
Some things to look for when picking out the right kid-friendly nail polish for your toddler would be to make sure that the ingredient list does not contain formaldehyde, toluene, and phthalates.
You want to make sure that you are selecting a water-based formula. It is important to choose a safe nail polish for your toddler because kids at this age are constantly putting their hands and fingers in their mouths.
So, picking out a nail polish that is free from toxins is the best way to protect your toddler from being exposed to these dangerous chemicals and fumes.
All of the options listed above are great suggestions that are highly rated and recommended for safe, kid-friendly nail polish use.
Reasons to Not Use Regular Nail Polish on Your Daughter’s Nails
It is no surprise that regular nail polish contains a lot of harmful chemicals and toxins. Some of the more dangerous chemicals are:
- Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP) – This is commonly used in plastics. It is used to make products more flexible. Effects of being exposed to this chemical include nausea, irritation to eyes, nose, skin, mouth, and throat, and possible damage to the reproductive system.
- Toluene – This is a paint thinner and can be associated with dizziness, numbness, dry skin, and irritation.
- Formaldehyde – This is a chemical used frequently in a lot of products and helps to harden nail polish. Although, it is not a safe ingredient and should be avoided.
This is why I highly suggest trying out some of the suggestions listed above. They avoid these harmful chemicals and can be safe to use on your children.
The fumes that are inhaled while applying regular nail polish can be just as bad as having the toxic solution sitting on your daughter’s nails and possibly being transferred to her eyes, mouth, nose, etc. This is another reason why safe, kid-friendly nail polishes are recommended. You will avoid having the dangerous toxins on her skin and also avoid having her inhale the harmful fumes and odors.
Nail Polish Remover
With regular nail polish comes nail polish remover. This is just another way to be exposed to harmful ingredients and toxins. Nail polish remover contains a lot of ingredients that are not safe, so kid-friendly nail polish is a great option because most of these solutions simply peel right off. Can’t beat that!
5 Things to Look for When Choosing Nail Polish for Kids
- Water-based formula – Always check to make sure that you are selecting a water-based formula. Otherwise, you may be choosing a polish that contains harmful ingredients. There are many kid-friendly, water-based nail polish options out there, and some great suggestions are listed above.
- Free from formaldehyde, DPA, and toluene – These are 3 harmful chemicals that you want to watch out for. If they are listed on the ingredient list then you are probably selecting a product that could be potentially dangerous for your young one. So, make sure that you’re always choosing an option that is free from these toxins.
- Peel-off solution – If you are selecting a nail polish that peels off easily, instead of having to use nail polish remover, then it is probably a kid-friendly option. There are so many nail polishes out there that have this great quality about them. And usually, it is outlined in the description of the product so it won’t be hard to miss.
- Odorless or bubble gum/fruit scents – If you are selecting a nail polish that is either odorless or has a bubble gum or fruit scent then that is a good sign. Some regular nail polishes could contain perfumes that can be harmful to one’s health.
- Packaging – This may sound silly but the packaging can be a clear indicator that you are choosing a kid-friendly nail polish. While all of them won’t be packaged with themes and fun colors, lots of these safe, non-toxic nail polishes will be packaged specifically for children so you won’t be steered wrong.
As you can see, it is very important to choose a safe nail polish option for your little ones. Regular nail polishes contain many harmful ingredients, and if exposed to children and toddlers, could be dangerous.
Along with that, it is important to also avoid nail polish removers. This can be done by choosing a kid-friendly nail polish. All of the options listed above are highly rated suggestions that I would recommend.
Anywhere from single polishes to nail polish sets with a wide variety of colors, the right kid-friendly nail polish can be found for any event or occasion!