Do you have a daughter, niece, granddaughter, etc. always begging you to let her paint her nails? As a nail tech and a parent, I experienced this before. And I bet we can all agree that we’re a little hesitant because of the unsafe ingredients that nail polish contains. That is exactly why I decided to find the best nail polish for kids, that will be easy to wash off, non-toxic, and easy to use.
Our Top 8 Picks For The Best Nail Polish for Kids
I know we all try to steer away from harsh chemicals and only allow our children to use products with natural, healthy ingredients. There are so many safe kid-friendly substitutes for adult nail polish and lots of color options too.
Don’t be afraid to try out some of these suggestions listed below, so that everyone can enjoy those fun, colorful nails!
I bought this kid-friendly nail polish set for my 8-year-old niece and she loves it! The formula goes on smoothly and dries quickly to avoid those unwanted nail polish stains.
One of my favorite things about this nail polish set is that since it is completely water-based, It washes off from the skin and nails with water and soap.
Also, the nail polish will peel off, to avoid having to scrub your little one’s nails clean from polish.
The variety of colors consists of blue, pink, yellow, green, purple, red, and a clear base coat.
On the other hand, the things I didn’t like about this product are the fact it doesn’t come easily out of clothes, and that it has a slight smell to it – not as strong as regular nail polish but I do prefer odorless nail polishes for kids.
The non-harmful ingredients make it one of the best non-toxic nail polish sets for kids. Plus, the company also offers a 100% money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your purchase.
- Good variety of colors
- You can easily wash it off from skin and nails
- Has a slight smell to it
- Doesn’t washes off easily from clothes
2. Best Budget- Townley Girl Frozen Non-Toxic Nail Polish For Kids
I must say this is one of the most affordable options on my best nail polish for kids roundup! There are 18 different colors to choose from with glittery or shimmery options.
Other than the price, one of the things I love about this nail polish set is the shimmery colors, if your kids love glittery and shining colors this is the kit for you.
The polish is bubble gum scented, I’m not a fan, but kids like it. The non-toxic, water-based formula is recommended for those ages 3 and up. And one of the best parts is that nail polish remover is not needed.
This polish will peel right off, to avoid nail polish remover’s harmful chemicals and fumes. The polish goes on and off easily, and with so many different color options, this set is great for any occasion!
- Easy to remove
- Affordable price
- Bubble gum smell
3. Best Color Variety -GRANSHOP Girls LOL Diva Dolls Fruity Scented Kids Nail Art
Another great variety pack, the Girls LOL Diva Dolls Fruity Scented Kids Nail Art offers 18 different colors. The set includes pink, turquoise, silver, black, blue, fuchsia, yellow, hot pink, lavender, coral, and others.
There are both glitter and opaque options. This kid-friendly nail polish is recommended for those ages 8 and up, so it’s not recommended for younger kids. The polish is non-toxic and water-based. It even has fruit and bubble gum scents.
This is a great option for kids that are looking for a wide variety of colors and fun scents. Great for all occasions, this is a highly recommended nail polish set.
- An amazing variety of colors and glitters
- It is not odorless
- Not suitable for toddlers
The piggy paint scented nail polish gift Set is a great quality, kid-friendly nail polish. The formula is non-toxic and water-based. It is formaldehyde-free, toluene-free, DBP-free, Bisphenol-free, ethyl acetate-free, and acetone-free.
From personal experience, it actually dries pretty quickly so younger kids won’t be able to smudge it right away.
Another great thing I love about this product is the fact it comes right off when it’s wet, so if your kids got it on their skin just fill a tub, or wash their hands.
This is a great option for those looking for a light-scented solution. All of the natural ingredients in this product make it so that it is almost scentless.
This polish is safe for babies, toddlers, young children, pregnant & nursing moms, and even pets.
The colors include Sassy Strawberry, Papaya Party, Funky Fruit, and Bossy Blueberry.
The company offers a base coat and top coat sold separately. This is one of my favorite best nail polish for kids with safe ingredients!
- Non-toxic nail polish for kids
- comes off skin easily
- Small bottles
- A small variety of colors compared to other sets
- You need to purchase a top coat separately
5. Best Disney Princess – Non-Toxic Peel-Off Nail Polish set (Glitter)
This is a great kid-friendly nail polish set for mixing and matching! There are 18 colors to choose from and glitter and opaque options. Colors include pink, yellow, green, orange, sky blue, dark blue, red, and more.
The solution is non-toxic and water-based. It is also bubble-gum scented, and princess-themed with different princesses on each bottle to add some fun. I know our little ones love their princesses!
The nail polish is easy to apply, dries fast, and even includes a toe separator and nail file to help avoid smudges and keep nails smooth and filed for nail polish application.
The polish will peel right off so that nail polish remover is not needed. This is a great option for all occasions!
- Good variety of colors
- Toe separator
- Dries fast
6. Best Consistency- Emosa Kids Friendly Nail Polish
The Emosa Nail Polish is an all-natural, safe product to use for young ones. The formula is 100% non-toxic and water-based. The solution is free from formaldehyde, toluene, and DBP.
It is an odorless polish and is environment-friendly. The polish can be removed by soaking it in warm water for 1-2 minutes and then gently peeling it off.
The 6-piece nail polish set includes turquoise, red, glittery red, purple, white, neon red, and neon yellow. The product is packaged nicely, making it a great gift idea or stocking stuffer!
The company offers a 30-day return, refund, and exchange policy. This is a very highly rated kid-friendly nail polish set for a great price!
- Comes with a top coat
- good consistency
- Not a big variety of colors compared to other sets
7. Best Formula- Prim and Pure Nail Polish for Children
This is a very unique type of kid-friendly nail polish. It is an all-natural nail polish made from fruits and vegetables. Can you believe that?! The fruit and vegetable water-based formula is odorless and dries fast, making it a great, safe option for children of all ages.
The nail polish is made in the USA so that the makers of the product can assure that all the ingredients are natural and safe. The nail polish was created by a mother who was always concerned and read into labels on different products.
She came up with this all-natural product made from earth’s raw materials. This nail polish is free from all harmful chemicals and it peels off.
I also love the fact you can wash it off easily, although I would advise you to keep it away from carpets.
- Made from fruits and vegetables
- Peels off easily
- No top coat in the kit
8. Best Package- Snails Non-Toxic Nail Polish for Girls
Snails Non-Toxic Nail Polish is an environmental-friendly polish that is great for children. There are no animal-derived ingredients. The only ingredients are water, acrylic polymer, and specific colorants that are safe for children.
They use a French formula that is 100% non-toxic with no parabens, perfumes, or harmful substances. This no-stain formula is easy to apply, dries quickly, and can be removed easily without nail polish remover.
I really loved its cute package although it’s a bit pricey for a single nail polish.
The product is used globally in 67 countries. There is also a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your purchase.
I would highly recommend this kid-friendly nail polish if you are looking for a safe, water-based option for any age.
- Environment friendly
- Dries quickly
- Cute package
Is There a Safe Nail Polish For Toddlers?
There are many great nail polish options out there that are safe to use on toddlers. It is very common for mothers to be concerned about the chemicals and harmful ingredients in a lot of the products that are out there these days.
Some things to look for when picking out the right kid-friendly nail polish for your toddler would be to make sure that the ingredient list does not contain formaldehyde, toluene, and phthalates.
You want to make sure that you are selecting a water-based formula. It is important to choose a safe nail polish for your toddler because kids at this age are constantly putting their hands and fingers in their mouths.
So, picking out a nail polish that is free from toxins is the best way to protect your toddler from being exposed to these dangerous chemicals and fumes.
All of the options listed above are great suggestions that are highly rated and recommended for safe, kid-friendly nail polish use.
3 Reasons to Not Use Regular Nail Polish on Your Daughter’s Nails
Some regular polish brands incorporate harmful chemicals and other toxic ingredients into their polishes. This is what you should look out for:
1. Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP) – DBP is used to make products more flexible and we can often see it used in plastics. Some of the side effects of being exposed to this chemical include nausea, irritation to eyes, nose, skin, mouth, and throat, and possible damage to the reproductive system.
2. Toluene– This is actually used as a paint thinner and can be associated with dizziness, numbness, dry skin, and irritation.
3. Formaldehyde – This is a chemical used frequently in a lot of glues and adhesives and helps to harden nail polish. According to the NCI the short side effects of exposure to Formaldehyde are watery eyes; coughing; wheezing; nausea; and skin irritation While longer-term side effects can even be cancer. It is not a safe ingredient and should be avoided.
This is why I highly suggest trying out some of the suggestions listed above. They avoid these harmful chemicals and can be safe to use on your children.
The fumes that are inhaled while applying regular nail polish can be just as bad as having the toxic solution sitting on your daughter’s nails and possibly being transferred to her eyes, mouth, nose, etc.
This is another reason why safe, kid-friendly nail polishes are recommended.
You will avoid having the dangerous toxins on her skin and also avoid having her inhale the harmful fumes and odors.
Nail Polish Remover
With regular nail polish comes nail polish remover. This is just another way to be exposed to harmful ingredients and toxins.
Nail polish remover contains a lot of ingredients that are not safe, so kid-friendly nail polish is a great option because most of these solutions simply peel right off. Can’t beat that!
5 Things to Look for When Choosing Nail Polish for Kids
1. Water-based formula – Always check to make sure that you are selecting a water-based formula. Otherwise, you may be choosing a polish that contains harmful ingredients. There are many kid-friendly, water-based nail polish options out there, and some great suggestions are listed above.
2. Free from formaldehyde, DPA, and toluene – These are 3 harmful chemicals that you want to watch out for. If they are listed on the ingredient list then you are probably selecting a product that could be potentially dangerous for your young one. So, make sure that you’re always choosing an option that is free from these toxins.
3. Peel-off solution – If you are selecting a nail polish that peels off easily, instead of having to use nail polish remover, then it is probably a kid-friendly option. There are so many nail polishes out there that have this great quality about them. And usually, it is outlined in the description of the product so it won’t be hard to miss.
4. Odorless or bubble gum/fruit scents – If you are selecting a nail polish that is either odorless or has a bubble gum or fruit scent then that is a good sign. Some regular nail polishes could contain perfumes that can be harmful to one’s health.
5. Packaging – This may sound silly but the packaging can be a clear indicator that you are choosing a kid-friendly nail polish. While all of them won’t be packaged with themes and fun colors, lots of these safe, non-toxic nail polishes will be packaged specifically for children so you won’t be steered wrong.
As you can see, it is very important to choose a safe nail polish option for your little ones. Regular nail polishes contain many harmful ingredients, and if exposed to children and toddlers, could be dangerous.
Along with that, it is important to also avoid nail polish removers. This can be done by choosing a kid-friendly nail polish. All of the options listed above are highly rated suggestions that I would recommend.
Anywhere from single polishes to nail polish sets with a wide variety of colors, the right kid-friendly nail polish can be found for any event or occasion!
Why Trust NailArtGear?
Lina Buk is a mom, and a nail and makeup expert, who has been in the beauty and cosmetic industry for the last 11 years. She is a mom to a 7-year-old and the founder of the Nailartgear blog. She offers detailed information about each product she recommends after trying products and analyzing numerous user reviews and related forums. In this post, she has made a roundup of the best nail polish for kids. She has included safe nail polishes without toxic chemicals and mentioned features such as water-based, odorless, and color variety.