Mascara is the best way to curl straight lashes and give them some volume. We all want full, lush eyelashes that curve toward the sky and beautifully frame our eyes. Unfortunately, most of us aren’t born with this quality naturally.
Those of us who have straight eyelashes can struggle to achieve that dramatic C or D curl that we want out of a mascara or false lash. But don’t get discouraged! There are many mascaras on the market today that deliver desired results in a convenient, little tube.
In this shopping guide to lash-lifting mascaras, we’ll discuss our favorite mascara for straight lashes, sure to bring the drama and flair. We’ll also show you where to buy some of the best mascaras and how to get the most out of them!
The Best Mascara for Straight lashes
Shopping online for mascara can feel overwhelming – there are so many options! Some formulations suit different eyelashes best, from sparse to full, from straight to naturally curved. Below you will discover 9 of our favorite mascaras for delivering volume, fullness, and curve to straight eyelashes of any length.
1. Benefit Cosmetics Roller Lash Mascara
Straight lashes have met their perfect match with Benefit Cosmetics’ Roller Lash Mascara and groundbreaking Hook ‘n’ Roll brush. The unique brush that comes in this 0.30-ounce tube grabs onto, separates and elevates every lash to deliver a beautiful and voluminous curl that holds for 12 hours or longer. In either brown or black, both formulations contain Serin and Provitamin B5 to nourish lashes from root to tip.
Roller Lash Mascara is a totally unique find that delivers enduring results that, while water-resistant, are easy to remove with your favorite makeup removing product.
2. Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara
From luxury beauty giant Lancome Paris comes this incredible mascara, which packs a full array of benefits in a 6-gram package. The triple coating formula of this product applies creamy and dries to last for the whole day – until you’re ready to take off your makeup, that is. Curl and volume are instantaneous when applied directly to lashes, without the need for a second coat of mascara!
You would think that the triple coating formulation would be thick and clumpy, but you will be surprised when you apply Lancome’s Hypnose Drama mascara to your lashes. The results are feather-light and beautifully separated lashes.
3. Blinc Extreme Longwear Tubing Mascara
This incredible mascara from Blinc forms life-resistant tubes around every individual lash to create dramatic curve and flair that lasts all day. Bid farewell to clumps and runny mascara and say “hello” to impeccable lashes that look like falsies! A single layer delivers high-impact results, but a second layer (applied when still wet) brings eyelashes to the next level.
Many tubing mascaras are challenging to apply, but not the mascara by Blinc. Simply apply it as you should a traditional mascara and get ready to hit the town!
4. Buxom Lash Volumizing Mascara
For lashes that are plump without a single clump, Buxom offers an incredibly volumizing, eyelash-curling mascara that delivers glossy results amplified with the nourishment of antioxidants. It even contains patent leather pigments to ensure the blackest of black lashes, which add definition and dramatic flair.
But don’t let that make you think that your lashes will be as heavy in weight as they will be in color. Straight lashes become fuller, more defined, and curvier without unwanted heft.
To get the maximum lift possible with this mascara, apply it like normal, and then, just before you’re done, use the tip of the wand to gently elevate lashes. Once dry, your eyelashes will be lifted, beautifully separated, and ready to impress all day long.
5. Stila HUGE Extreme Lash Mascara
From the more affordable end of the high-end mascara spectrum comes this offering from Stila, their HUGE Extreme Lash Mascara. Stila boasts that this easy-to-apply mascara does all the work of fiber mascaras, but without the mess and the extra steps. The “triple black” shade delivers extra definition while the unique formulation lifts, separates and curls lashes sky-high.
Even the sleepiest eyes and the shortest or straightest lashes will look maximized to the limit after a single application of this incredible mascara. As you would expect of Stila, this mascara is cruelty-free, paraben-free, and irritation-free. Wear contacts? Have sensitive eyes? No problem!
6. Tarte Maneater Magnetic Mascara for Straight Eyelashes
A soft-flex brush applies an expertly formulated, lightweight formula that lengthens, lifts and defines eyelashes, straight out of the tube. The unique brush contains hundreds of flexible bristles that hold onto individual lashes to create enhanced definition in an ultra-black shade that’s sure to frame and emphasize your eyes in spectacular form.
With a single application you can get 23 times the volume of your natural lashes, but that’s not all. The formulation of this mascara is infused with jojoba and carnauba wax to nourish lashes and keep them looking long and luscious all day long.
7. GrandeMASCARA Conditioning Peptide Mascara
Harnessing the power of beauty-boosting peptides, GrandeMASCARA is proud to bring a truly unique mascara product onto the beauty market. A good mascara elevates and defines lashes, but a great one nourishes your natural eyelashes to make them look better – even when you’re totally barefaced!
That is exactly what this mascara does. Consider it like a nurturing mask for your lashes. After you wash your face at the end of your day, your natural lashes will look and feel better than they did before.
When used with a primer, GrandeMASCARA’s Conditioning Peptide Mascara doubles down on the volume and curl. Panthenols and natural waxes work in tandem with the peptides in this formula to help lashes look more voluminous and lifted. Enjoy long-lasting results, from sun-up to sundown, when you apply this mascara.
8. Vivienne Sabo Cabaret Premier Mascara
Are you looking for a day-to-day, voluminous but subtle enhancement of your natural eyelashes? A single swipe of Cabaret Premier by Vivienne Sabo is sure to deliver the results you want. Do you crave thicker, bolder, more dramatic, and fanned-out lashes that will be the star of the show? Two or more layers of this product inspired by classic French cosmetics will do the trick in no time.
The petite wand that comes with this lightweight and powerful formula gets every lash and holds on for dear life, ensuring an even and clump-free application of the product, from the bases to the very tips of your lashes. Even the straightest of eyelashes will be getting to new heights with the greatest of ease. Definitely a great drugstore mascara for straight lashes.
9. The Balm Mad Lash Mascara
One high-impact mascara is awesome. When you buy this product on Amazon, you get your hands on a punch of volumizing, curling, and separating mascara from beauty legend The Balm.
Simply apply the gently curved mascara from root to tip to ensure even application and separation that will last all day long. And you get two of these incredible mascaras at a value that is simply unbeatable.
The curved wand shape assists in lifting lashes without feeling forced or tugging, which can cause damage to natural eyelashes. Push upward slightly with the curve against your lashes to get the most lift possible out of this incredible cosmetic find.
A Buying Guide for Mascara Users with Straight Lashes
It isn’t enough to simply buy a mascara that promises to deliver the elevating results that straight-lashed ladies and gents want. It always helps to know, as it is with any other cosmetic product, how to use the mascara to get the results that they crave. Let’s learn more about how to get the drama and flair that you want out of your elevating mascara.
How Do I Get my Lashes to Stay Curled?
It isn’t uncommon for eyelashes to look spectacular, fierce, and dynamic when the mascara is freshly dried, only for the results to wilt and diminish over the course of the day or night. Even if you’ve busted out your trusty eyelash curler, the same result happens.
So, what gives? What can you do about it? Here are a few tips to help you not only get – but keep – impeccably curled lashes for hours on end.
- Heat up your eyelash curler with a blow dryer before use. Only heat it up for a few seconds, because you don’t want to burn yourself, and make sure to test the heat of the curler on your hand to make sure that it’s safe to put near the sensitive skin of your eyes.
- Wiggle your mascara wand at the base of your lashes and then sweep upward in a fluid motion. This is often praised as the “right” way to apply mascara, but it really does help with lift! The idea here is that most of the product will deposit at the base of your lashes, resulting in an enhanced and longer-lasting curl.
- Apply a layer of waterproof mascara before your preferred mascara for maximum hold and longevity. Waterproof mascara is incredibly long-lasting, which will help reinforce the curl of your lashes.
- Once your last layer of mascara is applied, use the wand to push the lashes in an upward motion and hold it there for just a few seconds while the product dries.
- While this might feel like committing a cosmetic cardinal sin, many makeup artists admit to curling lashes with an eyelash curler after applying mascara. Wait for the mascara to dry completely, lest you end up ruining your mascara, and apply the curl with minimal pressure.
What is the Best Mascara to Curl Straight Eyelashes?
Out of the 9 mascaras that we detailed above, we’ve got to say that the GrandeMASCARA Conditioning Peptide Mascara is the winner, though they all put forth a good case for themselves.
The unique formulation and eyelash-nourishing vitamins and peptides found in this mascara deliver incredible results when applied, but that isn’t where the magic ends. Your lashes will start to look even better when bare after repeated use of this peptide-enriched mascara.
5 Mistakes to Avoid When Applying Mascara to Straight Eyelashes
- Using a primer. For lashes with a natural curl, a primer can be a length-providing and smudge-busting saving grace. But for those of us who have straight lashes that struggle to get a curl, primer can make eyelashes simply too heavy to reach the right level of elevation.
- Pumping the mascara wand. This little beauty habit is commonplace, but it causes mascara to dry out prematurely. Dry mascara provides heavy, uneven application and clumps, which can weigh down lashes and look unappealing.
- Applying more mascara at the end of the day. Mascara isn’t a product that’s easy to touch up when the day wears on. Applying a fresh coat to hours-dried lashes can look clumpy and make eyelashes much heavier, which compromises the curl.
- Using an enormous mascara wand. It might be tempting to get your hands on a mascara with the biggest wand because that suggests that application will be faster and easier. But what actually happens is too much product gets deposited onto lashes. A mascara with a slender and more petite wand is better for applying mascara because it allows you to get every hair without wasting product. If your lashes are in need of more “oomph,” just apply another coat.
- Expecting too much from one mascara. While many mascaras for straight lashes boast that they can curl, volumize and lengthen, they are guaranteed to perform one task better than the others. Your best bet is to apply a waterproof lengthening and/or volumizing mascara first and then layer it with your preferred curling mascara.