We all want beautiful, voluminous lashes. And with the right mascara in your makeup bag, this can be achieved with a few simple swipes of the wand! Volume-boosting mascaras can make eyes appear larger, longer, and individual lashes significantly fuller. The best thing about volumizing mascara? You don’t have to spend an arm and a leg! In this guide, we’ll tell you about our favorite best drugstore mascara for extra volume.
13 Volumizing Mascaras You Can Get at the Drugstore
Not every top-notch mascara comes from a designer store with a designer price tag. You can get your hands on a number of great volumizing mascaras for as little as a few dollars! Let’s talk about 13 of our favorite volumizing mascaras that you can get inexpensively and accessibly, right at your local drugstore.
1. L’Oreal Paris Lash Paradise
Contained within the 0.25 fluid ounce tube is a powerfully volumizing product that also lengthens natural eyelashes. The feathery-light formulation of this product safeguards against clumping, smearing, and flaking that can make your lashes look less than lush. The soft bristle brush (made with over 200 bristles) that accompanies this product ensures perfect separation. Say “goodbye” to clumps and say “hello” to luxurious length and volume!
2. Tarte Cosmetics Lights, Camera, Lashes Volume Mascara [Editors Pick]
This mascara from beloved cosmetics brand Tarte does it all! It lengthens, it volumizes, it curls, and it even conditions eyelashes. The 0.24 fluid ounce container is packed with high performing natural components, like botanicals and waxes, that naturally work to improve the condition of natural eyelashes. It is also free of parabens and other common synthetics, so this mascara has everything that you want – and nothing that you don’t. You can feel good about buying this product, which lengthens lashes as much as 400% in a single swipe!
3. Maybelline Lash Sensational
This mascara’s claim to fame is its brush, which is constructed with ten rows of bristles; no lash escapes the reaches of this unique brush! This washable mascara produces what Maybelline calls a “full fan effect” that volumizes and lengthens lashes from the inner corner to the outer corner with ease. Even short, sparse, or unruly lashes can be tamed and volumized by Lash Sensational mascara. Users adore this mascara for the lightweight, downright silky feel that the product leaves on their natural eyelashes.
4. Covergirl Lash Blast Volume
The iconic Covergirl Lash Blast mascara has a new incarnation: Lash Blast Volume! In a single swipe of the patented Lash Blast bristle brush, you get instant length and volume that compares even to the high-end products you’ll see in designer stores. Even ultra-thin and super-short lashes are expanded by as much as ten times when you apply this mascara from root to tip. This anti-clumping mascara is a cult favorite for a reason: it works!
5. Bestidy 4D Silk Fiber Lash Mascara
Do you not have the time or energy to apply falsies, but regular mascaras just don’t do the trick? Bestidy provides a wonderful solution to this dilemma with their 4D silk fiber lash mascara. This instantly volumizing and lengthening mascara harnesses the power of fibers to enhance natural eyelashes in a way that normal mascara just can’t accomplish. Waterproof and still easy to remove at the end of the day, Bestidy’s mascara is second to none for lovers of fiber mascaras.
6. Maybelline Volum’ Express Colossal Mascara
From the lash experts at Maybelline comes the Colossal mascara, a volumizing powerhouse boosted with the power of collagen. The unique formulation is applied directly to natural lashes with the Big Shot brush, which contains rows and rows of wavy bristles. One coat amps up lashes as much as 9x. A second coat delivers results as significant as 15x the length and volume of your natural eyelashes. This mascara has been a favorite for savvy drugstore cosmetic fans since its creation.
7. IT Cosmetics Superhero Mascara
IT Cosmetics has formulated this mascara with a unique elastic stretch technology that allows the brush to grab each individual lash for perfect separation and application. The mascara comes in a.30 fluid ounce tube, which is slightly larger than other volumizing mascaras that you’ll see on this list.
8. Tarte Maneater Magnetic Voluptuous Mascara
This drugstore find packs a serious dose of luxury for your lashes. It curls, it volumizes, it lengthens! The Maneater mascara from Tarte delivers on every count that matters for those of us looking to frame our eyes with the most dramatic lashes – without falsies. The flexible molded brush that comes in the 0.30 fluid ounce tube contains many bristles that grip onto lashes, so none are left without the volume and length you desire.
9. Simply Naked Beauty 3D Fiber Lash Mascara
Are you looking for the length and volumizing benefits of falsies, but in a convenient tube? Simply Naked Beauty provides a simply elegant solution with their 3D Fiber Lash mascara. Volumizing microfibers and a magnifying gel work in harmony to produce longer and thicker lashes. Not only is this mascara packed with lash-boosting benefits, but it is also organic, smudge-proof, and hypoallergenic! This is a fiber mascara that you (and your eyes) can feel good about with each application. With a single application, this mascara boosts volume by as much as 300 times!
10. Elizabeth Mott It’s So BIG! Mascara
This 10mL tube of mascara packs a serious punch by delivering volumizing, lengthening, and conditioning results through the application of eyelash-grabbing tubes. The tubing polymers in this mascara provide 360-degree coverage for every individual lash, from root to tip and from corner to corner. The formulation is water-based and yet surprisingly waterproof, which makes lashes feel lightweight and conditioned after application. You can even use this product on your eyelash extensions – it’s really that safe! The natural waxes infused into the formula ensure a long-lasting, natural-looking curl that will keep your eyelashes looking incredible all day.
11. Benefit Cosmetics BAD Gal BANG Mascara
Through the use of ProVitamin B5, this mascara from Benefit Cosmetics delivers some serious volume in just a single swipe. But the real magic happens when you layer the mascara, which is surprisingly lightweight and easy to layer without clumping. The product comes with what Benefit calls the “Slimpact” brush, which hugs each natural lash to lengthen and volumize every lash – top and bottom. The aero particles used in the formulation keeps lashes long, luscious, and lightweight all day, without flaking or smudging.
12. NYX Worth the Hype Volume Mascara
From the drugstore superbrand, NYX comes the Worth the Hype mascara, which is characterized by its incredible length and volume-producing properties. The jet-black formulation itself makes lashes appear fuller, but that’s not where the volumizing benefits end with this mascara. This mascara is incredibly lightweight and buildable, so you can get the effects that you desire within a single coat (for a more subtle, natural look) or several coats (for drama to last all night long). The tapered brush tip allows you to easily reach every lash, at any angle.
13. The Balm Mad Lash Mascara
This rich, black mascara is applied to lashes through a curved brush that grips to enhance every natural lash. From root to tip and from corner to corner, this buildable mascara provides length and volume that will work even on eyelash extensions. The shape of the wand is perfect for separating and lengthening, so each individual lash gets the attention that it so rightly deserves.
A Buying Guide for Volumizing Mascaras
How Can You Use Mascara to Volumize Your Eyelashes?
First, you need to get your hands on a truly volumizing mascara. Most mascaras these days offer volumizing benefits, but some lean more toward length than volume. Any of the 13 mascaras that we’ve listed above are an excellent option for those who truly seek lashes that are not only longer and darker, but also drastically fuller. After finding the perfect mascara, it’s a matter of technique to get your fullest lashes yet. Here are some tips to help you get the full lashes you crave:
- Apply your mascara with your eyes closed. This helps to prevent buildup at the tips and ensures coverage at the roots. This can take some practice, but it is worth it to master the technique. Practice at home, on one eye at a time, so that you can see what you’re doing in the mirror.
- Choose a mascara that’s formulated to be buildable. One layer makes for darker, more defined lashes, but you may need two or more to get the results you want.
- If you’re applying mascara on an open eye, use a zig-zag motion from base to tip to ensure even coverage and minimize clumping.
How Can I Make My Small Eyes Appear Larger?
There are many makeup tips and tricks that you can implement to make your smaller eyes appear larger. Aside from using a volumizing and curling mascara, here are a few more tips that you can use to widen the appearance of your eyes:
- Use a light-colored eyeliner on your bottom waterline. Dark liner shades like black, charcoal, navy, and dark brown can make eyes appear narrower. A white or beige-colored eyeliner, on the other hand, makes eyes look larger.
- Use a pale highlight shade to highlight your brow bones and the inner corners of your eyes.
- Conceal your dark circles, if you have any. Darkness around the eyes inherently makes them look smaller, and this is also true of any natural darkness around your eyes.
- Don’t forget to apply a volumizing mascara to your lower lash line. Longer lower lashes make eyes really pop.
- When applying your eyeliner on your top lid, opt for a thin, winged eyeliner look. This creates a visual effect resulting in bigger-looking eyes.
5 Mistakes to Avoid When Applying Your Volumizing Mascara
While the application of mascara is a pretty simple process, there are some mistakes that you might be making. These mistakes hinder your results and can make your mascara look clumpy or messy.
- Avoid applying your mascara to your top lashes first. When you apply mascara to your bottom lashes, you will have to look upward. If your mascara is still wet, your freshly made-up top lashes can smudge against your eyelid.
- Don’t pump your mascara bottle. This is a technique that you’ve probably seen a lot, but it is bad practice. This causes mascara to dry out prematurely, which can result in clumpy lashes and uneven mascara application.
- Don’t simply apply your mascara in an upward sweep. Using a zig-zag motion from root to tip makes for longer, fuller-looking lashes.
- Don’t forget to apply mascara to both sides of your lashes. If you apply mascara to only one side of the lashes, they won’t retain the curl and volume that you want. An even application on both sides invokes a look of greater fullness and longer-lasting results.
- Never curl your eyelashes after applying mascara. This can cause eyelash loss, which is a surefire way to make your lashes look much less full, even sparse.