How does it feel if you carry a heavy bag all day without even a second spare? Tired and a bit exhausted, right? That is the same way your scalp feels accumulating chemical treatments, conditioners, and fragments of hair serums. If you are desperately searching for the best clarifying shampoo for your curly hair, we’ve got you covered.
We often forget that too much use of dry shampoos, hair masks, and oils are the root cause of dandruff, hair fall, and greasiness as soon as they cling onto our scalp.
To rid all these impurities and have squeaky clean hair, you need to use a clarifying shampoo. They remove all the dirt as well as traces of oil from your hair.
Best Clarifying Shampoo for Curly Hair
Do you want to know the best clarifying shampoo that will best work for your hair? Below, we have listed the top best clarifying shampoo for curly hair.
1. Kenra Clarifying Shampoo
Kenra clarifying shampoo removes the impurities present in your hair to restore its natural radiance. This product perfectly brightens bleached, gray, or even highlighted hair. The presence of witch hazel, along with amino acid chelators and extracts of grapefruits ingredients, helps in the elimination of the impurities and dandruff buildup in the hair.
This product can be used for both swimmers and also for those in hard water areas. It is very safe for any type of hair color and gentle for daily use. Overall, Kenra clarifying shampoo is a great choice for curly hair, plus it’s affordable and the results are amazing.
For better and pleasing results, massage it into a damp hair and after rinse thoroughly.
2. Devacurl Buildup Buster Hair Cleanser
Devacurl Buildup Buster Hair Cleanser is a mighty clarifying shampoo which makes use of micellar technology to gently remove all the dirt and build up in the scalp. It does not strip essential moisture in the scalp. If your curly hair has lost its mojo as a result of hard water, environmental stressors, product buildup, or even hard water, this is the best product to use. It brings all the curl types back to life to give you bouncy hair.
Also, the added Abyssinian seed oil and jojoba to deliver moisture and radiant shine. It is 100% free from any parabens and silicones or sulfates. Plus, It’s vegan; wheat-free and cruelty-free.
It is a non-irritating clarifying shampoo that boosts your hair volume by gently cleansing away all impurities caused by shampoos, conditioners, and styling products. This product is designed to instantly remove 90% of heavy dulling residue and used once a week to rid lousy hair days.
It is designed for all types of hair and is gentle for color-treated hair. Wet your hair and thoroughly massage the shampoo into your hair, and then rinse it well.
4. Acure Curiously Clarifying Shampoo with Lemongrass & Argan
Are you looking for a clarifying shampoo to gently remove all buildup without irritating your scalp? This clarifying shampoo will help you clean and refresh your hair. It has Argan oil ingredient which helps in replenishing moisture and lemongrass ingredient which clarifies and restores your hair. It is free from petroleum, silicone, parabens, sulfates and mineral oil.
Apply this clarifying shampoo to wet hair and massage into the scalp and your hair after rinse thoroughly. You will love the outcome.
5. Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo Three [Best For Curly Hair]
This is our favorite best clarifying shampoo for curly hair. Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three removes all the buildup, chlorine, and mineral from hair while keeping strands healthy. It helps have a bouncy and soft hair.
This clarifying shampoo further minimizes future impurities buildup in the hair.
Apply small amount and massage into your scalp and hair. Rinse it thoroughly and avoid eye contact. It is very suitable for daily use except on color-treated hair.
For bouncy and soft hair feeling, I recommend Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three.
6. Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Shampoo
This clarifying shampoo is made of chamomile, aloe, vitamins, and lemon essentials to clarify, brighten, and rid of all the excess oil and dulling build up in the hair. It gently cleanses and revitalizes any type of hair to restore natural highlights, color, and give it a radiant appearance.
This product is made with non-GMO and free from parabens, harsh preservatives, synthetic colors, phthalates, and sulfates.
Wet your hair and apply as you massage it into a rich lather and then rinse.
7. Christina Moss Naturals All-Natural Clarifying Shampoo
It is environmentally friendly and gently cleanses and nourishes your hair without drying out, stripping, or leaving any buildups. It is suitable for all types of hair, including the color-treated ones. This clarifying shampoo moderately improves the condition of your hair and scalp.
Its natural and organic ingredients help eliminate toxic chemicals from your hair, leaving it clean, bouncy, and shiny.
Massage into scalp and hair while working through the ends and then rinse. Repeat the process if desired. It is gentle and suitable for daily use. Healthy hair is happiness.
8. BIOLAGE Normalizing Clean Reset Shampoo
The BIOLAGE Normalizing Clean Reset Shampoo clarifying shampoo is a very intense cleaning treatment for all the types of hair. It is a paraben-free formula that cleanses your hair without drying it out to give a shiny look and soft hair feeling. This clarifying shampoo removes all the oil buildup, dirt, and oil from beautiful, straight, damaged, curly, coarse, and wavy hair.
Also, it has a pleasant, foaming texture when cleansing your hair, and it suitable for daily use for those who have exceptionally oily hair.
9. OGX Purifying + Charcoal Detox Shampoo
Tired of hair hooked or dragged down by dry shampoo? Try this OGX Purifying + Charcoal Shampoo infused with coconut charcoal and kaolin clay, which gently busts through the buildup to give your hair that shiny look and comfort your scalp. It is designed to bring out your best and makes your hair smoother, fuller, curlier with an irresistible smell. It nourishes your hair to give it a refreshed, balanced glow.
Apply into wet hair and massage into a lather through to the ends and then rinse thoroughly. The results will please you.
How Do You Know When Your Hair Needs Clarifying?
Without a doubt, you’ve noticed that your hair is sometimes extra greasy and feels weird. It becomes even tough to comb it through. This kind of bizarre feeling caused by varieties of stuff building up on your hair like; hairsprays, gels, minerals in hard water, chemicals and chlorine from swimming pools and even, waxes from shampoos and conditioners over time leaves a residue on your hair.
All this causes your hair to appear dull, heavy, and greasy, and sometimes it starts drying, in the end, it becomes almost crispy depending on your hair’s texture. A clarifying shampoo is essential for a healthy hair care regime. But you might not be sure of when to use it. Thanks to this article for going more in-depth on the signs that indicate your hair needs a clarifying shampoo.
- Your hair does not respond to products – When you apply hair products, and you are not getting the results you used to, a simple clarifying will correct the situation.
- You wash it and still feels dirty and heavy – When you wash your hair, and after it dries, you still think it is greasy and oily, clarify your hair to remove all the impurities build up.
- Your hair won’t hold a style – If your hair gets to a point and starts feeling weighed and won’t even curl or form as it usually does, it may be the perfect time to clarify to rid all the buildup and impurities that your regular daily shampoo can’t get rid.
- When you’ve been using dry shampoo regularly – You need to clarify your hair to cleanse all the stubborn products present in your hair due to the use of dry shampoo and styling products in general.
- Swimming – If you like spending a lot of time at the pool during the summer, your hair accumulates a lot of minerals and chemicals. Therefore, a clarifying shampoo is essential to make sure all that gets of your hair.
- When your hair breaks more quickly than usual, consider using a clarifying shampoo.
How Often Should You Clarify Curly Hair?
Applying a lot of hair products might require you to clarify your hair weekly or twice a week as well as those who have hardwood water. Also, if you particularly love spending a lot of time at the pool, you need to use a clarifying shampoo more often to rid of all the greenish tint that is caused by chlorine over time.
But, you don’t need to clarify your hair weekly or more often if you have been using minimal hair products or have soft water. In this case, you are purifying your hair as little as every other month is just enough. For the average person, clarifying your hair once or twice a month is essential.
You might be wondering why clarifying shampoo is not advisable for daily use. Honestly, the regular clarifying shampoo will rid of impurities and prevent oil buildup. But, you shouldn’t overlook the advantageous side forgetting that it wouldn’t leave any beneficial oil in your hair to keep it healthy, bouncy, and shiny.
How Do You Clarify Curly Hair Naturally?
Have you ever thought of clarifying your hair naturally without pulling your curls down? Well, oil buildup and impurities will rid of the natural sheen of the kinks and dry it off. You can combat oil buildup and dirt without using clarifying shampoos and still have fresh and clean hair curls. Below, we have done thorough research on useful natural remedies that can aid in clarifying your hair. Read on!
- Baking soda – You can successfully mix baking soda and water and remove residue from your hair without stripping. Mix one (1) tablespoon baking soda to 1.5 cups of warm water in a spray bottle. Saturate your hair and scalp and massage hardly for minutes and then rinse thoroughly after leaving it to soak for half an hour. It gives you fresh and clean hair without damaging your curls.
Did you know? Baking soda also rebalances the pH of your curls
- Apple Cider Vinegar – If your hair curls weighed somehow heavy due to dirt and oil buildup, Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is your favorite product to clarify! Mix up a mixture of ¼ cup of ACV, lime juice, and a gallon of filtered water. Pour 2 cups of the broth over your curls and allow it to saturate in your hair. Using your figure tips, mix it through the curls and give it time to rest and wash it off using cold water. You can repeat the same every 2-3 weeks.
- Dish soap – Grab some dish soap and cleanse the weighed down curls due to residue buildup. Use dish soap to shampoo your hair and then follow your regular conditioning treatment as you give the conditioner 20-30 minutes on your hair. Though, dish soap can turn out a bit tough on curls, so it’s advisable to try it out on a section of small hair before you go for a whole hair.
What if My Hair Is Still Misbehaving?
It’s discouraging to get to a point where the clarifying shampoo nor the naturally clarifying remedies aren’t working for you, especially if you regularly go for swimming. A lot of minerals and chemicals and hard water might have buildup in your hair. If it gets to this point, we advise you to consult your hairstylist, who might have a reliable remedy to save the situation. Most of the hairstylists have access to plenty of things one can’t get over the counter.
The Bottom Line
It is quite evident in the above, using the right shampoo at a correct time interval can correctly clean your curly hair and give it a bouncy, shiny look and softer feeling. Who does want to have a squeaky clean hair with an irresistible fresh smell?
It is never too late to correct your hair imperfections using the best clarifying shampoos listed as well as the natural remedies. Anyway, how does it feel having a bouncy, clean highlighted natural hair? Great right! Let’s all go for that pleasing hair look.